It’s summer, which not only means time for the kids to read, but it also means time for you, the adult, to dig into a good book. Not sure where to start or which author to go for? Here’s a comprehensive list of top Twitter feeds to keep you in the know on all-things literary, according to Online College Resources. And you thought Twitter was just for teens!
Browse the list, pick a few, and get plugged into a rich online community of fellow bookophiles.
five types of reading-related twitter feeds
top 50 twitter feeds, by type
If you can’t commit to a whole book, check out these author tweets for interesting summer reading.
- @neilhimself:Follow Neil Gaiman to learn about his latest work, pop culture, and other fun reads.
- @TheBloggess:Newly minted bestselling author Jenny Lawson shares her daily musings and hilarity on Twitter as @TheBloggess.
- @jenniferweiner:The author of incredibly popular summer novels, Jennifer Weiner is a great resource for fun summer reading.
- @TheAuthorGuy:Christopher Moore brings a daily dose of crazy to Twitter as @TheAuthorGuy.
- @doctorow:Check out author Cory Doctorow’s Twitter for insight into books, activism, and interesting reads.
Stay on top of new releases and book news through these Twitter accounts.
- @CoverSpy:Want to know what New Yorkers are reading, right now? @CoverSpy hits the streets, subways, parks, and bars of NYC to tell followers what’s hot in reading.
- @thebookslut:Follow Jessa Crispin for book recommendations, fun reading resources, and book news.
- @bookninja:”The world’s deadliest books site” offers book news, insights, and musings into the summer book world and beyond.
- @LiteratureBooks:Follow @LiteratureBooks to learn about new literature and fiction book releases as they are published.
Publications & Publishers
These books columns, publishers, and book bloggers offer plenty of insight into great summer reads.
- @PublishersWkly:Check out @PublishersWkly to find reviews, information, and bookselling news, plus picks for new books.
- @ChronicleBooks:This independent publisher discusses distinctive books and new releases on Twitter.
- @AtYourLibrary:Find out about the excellent resources available at your local library this summer from @AtYourLibrary.
- @randomhouse:@randomhouse is on Twitter to chat about books and writing. They often share reading lists, excerpts, and other fun resources for readers.
- @RandomHouseCA:Random House’s Canadian branch tweets to help readers find their next great book through recommendations, contests, interviews, and more.
- @nytimesbooks:Check out @nytimesbooks for interviews, author profiles, book reviews, and more book news from The New York Times. Highlights include novelist quotes, prize announcements, and timely book happenings.
- @torbooks:A publisher of science fiction, fantasy, horror, and other speculative fiction, Tor Books is full of resources for getting your hands on some strange summer reads.
- @GalleyCat:Follow the book publishing industry on Twitter through @Galleycat. This account offers news on new adaptations, and even summer reading flowcharts for you to find your next great read.
- @littlebrown:Little Brown and Co. offers fun summer reading suggestions, excerpts, and other fun reading resources.
- @vintagebooks:Check out @vintagebooks for news, giveaways, and recommendations for summer reading and beyond.
- @NYerFiction:@NYerFiction tweets about the latest in fiction, plus, the account will feature Jennifer Egan’s Twitter short story, Black Box.
- @paperhaus:This LA Times staff writer covers books, paper, and pixels.
- @GuardianBooks:Follow @GuardianBooks to discover news, reviews, and even author interviews. Recent tweets include insight into reader reviews and obsessive book dedications.
- @latimesbooks:Follow @latimesbooks for news and reviews from the LA Times Jacket Copy blog.
Picks & Reviews
Need help finding a great book? These recommendation and review accounts are a great resource for readers.
- @flwbooks:@flwbooks recommends books so good, they’re flashlight worthy.
- @books:@books shares news and selected books from the Readers Read community.
- @BookBrowse:BookBrowse Books offers a guide to exceptional reading with reviews, back stories, and reading lists. Follow this account to find a daily recommended book.
- @SelectedShorts:In this series, you’ll get access to selected short readings of classic and contemporary fiction read by acclaimed actors.
- @KirkusReviews:Get the straight story on books from @KirkusReviews, the world’s toughest book critics since 1933.
- @FanLit:@FanLit believes that life’s too short to read bad books and shares the best of fantasy literature on this Twitter account.
- @bookpage:With hundreds of book reviews every month, @bookpage shares the real deal on just about every summer read out there.
- @dearauthor:Lovers of romance can find a wealth of romance novel reviews and news through @dearauthor.
- @booksin140:Erin Basler shares personal book reviews and insights on @booksin140, plus live-tweeting of important book events.
- @booksmugglers:Review mavens and self-proclaimed super dorks @booksmugglers can help guide you to your next great summer read.
- @BittenbyBooks:Check out @BittenbyBooks for paranormal fiction reviews, interviews, and even giveaways.
- @KindleSurprise:Find some of the most entertaining books on the Kindle through @KindleSurprise.
- @hipsterbookclub:Find out what books the hipsters are reading from @hipsterbookclub on Twitter.
Follow these book-loving communities to connect with other readers, find recommendations, and even join a book club.
- @goodreads:Take part in the @goodreads community to find new books, book recommendations, and even join book clubs.
- @inreads:In this reading community, you’ll enjoy a love of books and a new reading experience.
- @LitChat:Check in with @LitChat for an always-on discussion of the love of books.
- @litblog:@litblog offers a discussion on books, sharing selected author tweets, excerpts, and more.
- @shelfari:Get connected to books, book lovers, and book recommendations through @shelfari.
- @bookclubgirl:Jennifer Hart shares her love of great books and book clubs on Twitter as @bookclubgirl.
- @ReaderIReadIt:Check out the @ReaderIReadIt community for reviews, challenges, trailers, and more.
- @1book140:Join in with @1book140 to take part in a Twitter book club picking up a new read each month.
- @FridayReads:Check out the @FridayReads team to learn about what other people are reading, and even find weekly book giveaways.
- @BookBitch:Follow along as @BookBitch reads, reviews, and gives away books.
- @FreshFiction:Find out what @FreshFiction has to say in the world of books for new titles, bestseller lists, contests, and thousands of author profiles.
- @bookpatrol:Join @bookpatrol to find a haven for book culture.
- @lovereadinguk:Book lovers in the UK will enjoy checking out this Twitter feed for the latest in new books and news updates from the publishing world.
- @bookgeeks:Follow along with The Bookgeeks to celebrate the love of books and find some great reviews.
Happy summer reading!
Source: Online College Resources