We know you’ve seen those Hollywood productions that have a ghost, ghoul or other alien creature dripping, drooling or slinging their green and gooey stuff all over the place. It’s disgusting, it’s messy, but for some reason, kids (and even some adults) love this kind of stuff. Well, now you can create your very own batch of green goo. The best part? It only takes four ingredients and under five minutes from start to finish!
What You Need
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Elmer’s Glue-All Glue
- 1/4 Cup Liquid Starch
- Food Coloring (green, red, or whatever color you wish)
How To Make It
- Pour 1/4 cup of glue and 1/4 of water into a ziplock bag or bowl. Knead or stir to mix thoroughly.
- Add six drops of food coloring to mixture. Knead or stir to mix thoroughly.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of liquid starch. Mix thoroughly. Mixture should be fairly blobby at the start, but the more you play with it the more stretchy it will become and easier to hold.
The Science Lesson
Voila! You’re done! But how does it work? The glue is a liquid polymer. This means that the tiny molecules in the glue are in strands like a chain. When you add the liquid starch, the strands of the polymer glue hold together, giving it its slimy feel. The starch acts as a cross-linker that links all the polymer strands together.
Make sure you keep the slime in a ziplock bag or sealed container when you’re not playing with it to preserve it for future fun time!